21 Things to Expect When Being Treated for Anxiety
21 Things to Expect When Being Treated for Anxiety Page #1
9. Your therapist may hypnotize you so that your subconscious mind
learns that you do not have to worry to protect yourself. When your
subconscious believes it, so will your everyday conscious mind and the
anxiety will disappear
10. The therapist may prescribe that you read and study some pamphlets
or articles about anxiety and ask that you select relevant concepts to
discuss with him in the session.
11. Your therapist will likely help you to develop an awareness of
your relapse triggers and constructive ways to manage them.
12. You may be required to verbalize how your current living situation
contributes to your anxieties and may act as a hindrance to your
13. If your living situation is seen as aggravating your anxiety,
other interventions, such as marriage or family counseling, may be
introduced to deal with it.
14. Your therapist will assist you in developing insight into the
personal or career changes that may be needed in order to prevent a
relapse of serious anxiety.
15. You may be encouraged to increase your awareness of how your
upbringing may have affected you psychologically. Remember that often
a traumatic past may linger or even lurk in your present.
16. Your therapist will likely support and encourage you when you
begin to express relevant fear, rage and rejection relating to any
abuse or neglect that you may have experienced.
17. In helping you to manage a traumatic past, your therapist may help
you identify the role you played in your family,the feelings
associated with it and its impact on the present.
18. The therapist may help you to identify self-defeating patterns
relevant to your anxiety that exist in your present family or career
situation and suggest ways of modifying them.
19. The therapist may prescribe psychological testing to expose any
factors that may be neglected in isolating the causes of your anxiety.
20. You will be helped to identify sources of ongoing support and
reassurance to effectively curtail and manage your anxiety.
21. If you are taking any related medications, their clinical and side
effects will be monitored to be sure that they are contributing
efficiently to a therapeutic outcome and not hampering it in any way.
About the Author:
Dr Shery is in Cary, IL, near Algonquin, Crystal Lake and
Lake-in-the-Hills. He's an expert marriage counselor and psychologist.
Call 1 847 516 0899 and make an appt or
learn more about counseling
Webpage by Paul Susic MA Licensed Psychologist Ph.D Candidate
Page on Google Plus